Mathematics is the study of universal patterns and structures and is the quantitative language of the world. Students with a good background in fundamental mathematics have many options in terms of career possibilities and are highly sought after for postgraduate study in almost every quantitative field like actuarial sciences, environmental sciences, finance, economics to name a few.
The Department of Mathematics has been working enthusiastically with the vision of providing quality education to its students. The department offers the following two undergraduate courses: 1. B.Sc (H) Mathematics
This course gives the understanding of the notion of mathematics with basic ideas of pure mathematics (including analysis, linear algebra, geometry, group theory and ring theory). A broad understanding of and practice in using, basic tools of applied mathematics (including differential equations, numerical analysis, probability and statistics). Beside this it gives familiarity with computer algebra systems (CAS) such as Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, etc. 2. B.Sc (Prog.) Mathematical Science
This course has the combination of Mathematics, Operations Research and Computer Science. Operations Research is Applied Mathematics which is widely used in industries for solving optimization problems like Transportation, Media Allocation, Brand Switching, Linear Programming, Queuing Theory etc. Strengths of the Department
- Excellent course structure that caters to the modern needs.
- Highly qualified and dedicated faculty with specialization in pure and applied mathematics.
- Dedicated faculty members and eager students work as an ideal combination for information generation.
- Inclination of faculty towards research and latest teaching methodologies.
- Basic IT knowledge is inculcated in the students so that they can present themselves more effectively.
- Students are motivated to give PowerPoint presentations on applications of mathematics that helps in developing presentation skills, confidence and above all better understanding of the subject.
- ICT enabled laboratory serves as the extra hand for learning and teaching process.
- Student centered and activity-based teaching and learning.